It doesn’t matter how good you may get at playing darts— some of your shots will still end up on the wall or on the floor. A reliable dart backboard can prevent damage to your wall and your equipment, but that only solves half of the problem.
So, if you’re looking for ways to protect your flooring, too, then you’re going to need a dart mat.
While generally a simple and straightforward piece of equipment, not all dart mats are created equal. Some are equipped with features to improve your gaming experience, some last longer, and some even provide better comfort while you play.
I’ve put together this guide to give you a list of our recommendations as well as break down the things that you should be looking for when shopping for one.
- 9 Of The Best Dart Mats Reviewed
- 1. Winmau Xtreme Dart Mat (Heavy-Duty) – Editor’s Choice
- 2. Winmau Outshot Dart Mat (Soft-Feel) – Best for Home Use
- 3. Dart World Let’s Play Darts Dart Mat – Best for Pub Use
- 4. Viper Padded Throw/Toe Line Dart Mat – Provides The Best Comfort
- 5. GRAN MAT LED Action Darts Mat – Best Illuminated Dart Mat
- 6. Pachi Paradice Harrows Professional Dart Mat – Best Practice Rubber Mat
- 7. Target Dart World Champions Dart Mat – Best Budget Dart Mat
- 8. Shot Darts Professional Dart Mat – Best Carpeted Dart Mat
- 9. ZAAP Heavy Duty Darts Mat with Throw Lines – Best Value for Your Money
- Buying Guide: Things to Consider When Choosing A Dart Mat
- Final Words
|1||Winmau Xtreme Dart Mat (Heavy-Duty)|
|2||Winmau Outshot Dart Mat (Soft-Feel)|
|3||Dart World Let’s Play Darts Dart Mat|
|4||Viper Padded Throw/Toe Line Dart Mat|
|5||GRAN MAT LED Action Darts Mat|
|6||Pachi Paradice Harrows Professional Dart Mat|
|7||Target Dart World Champions Dart Mat|
|8||Shot Darts Professional Dart Mat|
|9||ZAAP Heavy Duty Darts Mat with Throw Lines|
9 Of The Best Dart Mats Reviewed
1. Winmau Xtreme Dart Mat (Heavy-Duty) – Editor’s Choice
If you’re looking for a heavy-duty mat, then the Winmau Xtreme Mat is a solid choice for you. With an area of 118.1 x 23.6 inches and a thickness of 0.2 inches, this mat provides an impressive coverage for your home setup, for pubs and can even be used in official tournaments.
This is also considerably heavier than the other options, so you can rely on this mat to stay in place no matter how intense the game may get.
Despite its impressive measurements, the Winmau Extreme Dart Mat can easily be rolled up and stored. If it’s not in use, you can put this away in a closet or a shelf without any hassle. It also saves stray darts from damage, thanks to its rubber material.
This dart mat features two official darts throw lines to assist you on where to stand when you play. This works well with just about any floor type. Plus, it has a simple design too.
- It is made out of heavy-duty rubber to protect your flooring as well as your darts from damage.
- You can use it wherever you want— at home, at the pub, or at a tournament.
- It has oche measurements that are used in official competitions.
- The design is simple and stylish, making it a great addition to your game room.
- The coverage is relatively narrow compared to your other options in the market.
- It has a rather distinct rubber scent to it, something that some players might not like.
2. Winmau Outshot Dart Mat (Soft-Feel) – Best for Home Use
Here’s another dart mat product from the leading brand Winmau. The Outshot Dart Mat is a lightweight and full-length fiber mat that has a soft feel to it.
It is made out of anti-slip PVC composite underlay and edging design to keep it in place throughout your game. This earns a spot on my list for its versatility, lightweight design, and easy-to-store characteristics.
The anti-slip underlay allows it to lay completely flat on the floor when in use. It also features the official measurements in a standard competition, as well as a handy checkout chart to give an added layer of professionalism to your gameplay.
With a coverage area of 5.91 x 5.91 inches at 12.35 pounds, this could be the mat to help you secure your home’s flooring. However, because it is pretty soft, I recommend you layer a piece of plywood underneath it to prevent damage to your hardwood floors.
- Its sleek and stylish design can be a great addition to your home’s game room.
- It features official measurements to help you improve your gameplay.
- It has a non-slip underlay to keep the mat flat on the floor.
- You can easily roll this up and store it when it’s not in use.
- It has a tendency to slide on the floor when you walk over it.
- If you want to prevent damage to your hardwood floors, then you should place a piece of plywood underneath it.
3. Dart World Let’s Play Darts Dart Mat – Best for Pub Use
This Dart Mat from Dart World may be thin, but it is pretty sturdy and can do a pretty good job at preventing damages to your floor. While there are certainly thicker options in the market, this is still a high-quality mat that is up to tournament standards.
The Let’s Play Dart Mat comes at a 14.224 cm x 14.732 cm size and is made out of thin rubber that is more than enough to protect your floorings as well as your equipment.
Much like the previous dart mats in this list, this too is designed to be non-slip to prevent injuries as well as distractions while you play.
Overall, this is a sturdy and reliable dart mat that you can use in just about any setting. It features white throw lines to assist you in your gameplay. Not to mention, it is quite portable and easy to store too.
- Despite being thin, it is durable.
- It is made out of non-slip rubber to keep it from moving or slipping while you play.
- You can use it both at home or in a pub setting.
- It has 3 white oche lines to assist in your gameplay.
- With a height of 62.992 cm, this option might be too long for some game rooms.
- The anti-slip rubber material has a strong smell to it.
4. Viper Padded Throw/Toe Line Dart Mat – Provides The Best Comfort
Viper Dart Mat provides reliable and superior protection while still making sure that you stay comfortable as you play. If you are on the lookout for a padded mat for your home dart game, this could be a good choice for you.
With a padded throw line made out of soft vinyl material, it is sure to protect your darts and your flooring against errant darts.
With a measurement of 117″ L x 24″ W x 1/4″ D, this mat provides just the right coverage for your games. It also has an embossed toe-line— 93 ¼” for steel tip games and 96″ for soft tip games.
This effectively removes any guesswork on your part when you play. Plus, it takes into account the players’ comfort when you throw too.
Comfort and tournament-standard measurements aren’t the only things that the Viper Dart Mat has to offer. It also features a non-slip property to keep you safe while you play.
- This is made out of soft, cushioned vinyl padding to ensure your comfort when you throw.
- It is durable with a heavy-duty feel to it.
- It provides dual oches, one for soft tip darts and another for steel tip darts.
- It is designed with a non-slip feature to keep you safe as you play.
- The price point is higher compared to some dart mats in the market.
- The embossed lines are black and could be difficult to see.
5. GRAN MAT LED Action Darts Mat – Best Illuminated Dart Mat
The Gran Mat – Led Action Darts Mat is a great addition to any game room, especially if you have the Gran Board 3. With its 360 high-intensity LEDs, it can easily set the right mood for your game.
Fun and certainly flashy, this mat can also provide ample coverage for your flooring, thanks to its area of 118 inches x 23.6 inches. You will, however, need to recharge it to continue enjoying its illumination.
Included in its package are two strips of LED lighting, two USB cables, a circuit box, as well as an instruction manual. You will need a 2.4A (12W) or higher USB Power adapter to power this up and light up your gaming space.
In terms of floor grip, the Gran Mat is best used for carpeted flooring. If put directly on hardwood floors, it tends to slip.
- It has two strips of LED lights to set the mood for your games.
- Everything is included— USB cables, LED lights, a circuit box, and an instruction manual.
- It is compatible with all Gran Board models.
- It has a non-slip design, especially when used in carpeted flooring.
- You may have difficulty finding an adequate power supply, but it looks great once you find one.
- It tends to slip when used directly on hardwood floors.
6. Pachi Paradice Harrows Professional Dart Mat – Best Practice Rubber Mat
The Pachi Paradice Dart Mat is a product made by Harrows, a well-known and trustworthy brand in the darts community. It is measured with the standard professional throwing distance of 237cm (7 ft 9 ¾ in).
Although considerably thinner than the other options in the dart mat market, this still offers paramount durability and sturdiness that you can enjoy at home, in pubs, or during dart tournaments.
The mat itself has two throw lines: one for steel tip players and the other for soft tip players. It also does a good job of protecting your floors from damages caused by bounce-outs. Its non-slip mat allows it to grip just about any type of flooring too.
Overall, this is a reliable standard dart mat with professional-grade features. It’s thin but durable, and it provides a non-slip feature to keep you safe when you play darts. With its marked throw lines, you can use this for target practice at home.
- It is made out of non-slip rubber.
- You can easily roll this up and store this when it’s not in use.
- The throw lines are painted white and are very visible.
- It may be thin, but it is durable and is made out of quality materials.
- There are other options in the market that have better aesthetic value.
- The smell of rubber takes a while to dissipate—I recommend giving it a few days to air out.
7. Target Dart World Champions Dart Mat – Best Budget Dart Mat
If you’re on a budget but still want to protect your floorings, then I recommend the Target Dart World Champions Dart Mat. With it, you can get ample and reliable protection without breaking the bank.
It is designed as a lightweight dart mat with a non-slip rubber backing to catch possible bounce-outs when you play, and its material allows it to stay put even as you walk on it.
It can be used for target practice as well as game events and parties where you want to keep the floor pristine and protected. You can simply roll this out when you need it. Storing this won’t be a hassle, thanks to its lightweight design too.
This dart mat features 3 visible oche lines to help you position yourself at a proper distance when you play. Simply put, it is compact, portable, and convenient—a perfect addition to your dart gaming experience.
- It provides reliable protection at a reasonable price.
- It is dual-layered: the top has a carpet finish, and the bottom is made out of rubber.
- It is designed to be non-slip and can provide a pretty good grip on the floor.
- You can easily fold or roll it for easy storage.
- The lines tend to chip away after multiple uses.
- The carpet finish makes it a bit difficult to clean.
8. Shot Darts Professional Dart Mat – Best Carpeted Dart Mat
The Shot Darts Pro Dart Mat is a dual-layered dart mat with a carpeted fabric finish and an industrial-grade rubber as an underlay.
Unlike multi-layered mats, however, the underlay is an impressive 3″ thick rubber material. This makes it efficient in protecting your floors from stray darts as well as lending your space a nice, carpeted look.
With a coverage of 116 in x 24 in, this mat can be used at home or even in darting competitions. It features a visible throw line, measured for both steel and soft dart players. It is created for your comfort, too— you will notice that if you play barefoot.
In terms of storage, you can just roll this mat and store it on a shelf or closet. It provides the right amount of protection without being too bulky.
- Its design and the level of protection that it provides make it suitable for commercial use.
- It is dual-layered: with high-grade rubber and a carpet finish.
- The underlay offers a reliable grip on the floor, so it doesn’t slip when you walk on it.
- The throw lines are evident and are measured based on tournament standards.
- As with most fabric dart mats, this can be quite tricky to clean.
- The chemical scent of the underlay can be pretty overwhelming, so be sure to air it out right after buying it.
9. ZAAP Heavy Duty Darts Mat with Throw Lines – Best Value for Your Money
In terms of price and quality, The ZAAP Heavy Duty Dart Mat is a good choice for those who want to get the most bang out of their buck.
At 7’6″ x 7’91/4″ x 8’6″ and a height of 9 feet, this dart mat provides ample coverage and protection for your flooring. It also features 4 oche lines for the type of darts that you use for your game.
The mat itself is made out of thick and high-quality rubber. You can place this on top of just about any surface. In fact, you can use this on carpeted flooring or laminated floors, and it will still be able to prevent it from slipping on these while you play.
You can easily roll it up for storage or to bring it someplace else without a hassle. Not to mention, thanks to its rubber material, the ZAAP Dart Mat is relatively easy to wipe down and clean too.
- It comes at a reasonable price, considering the quality of its material and its design.
- No matter what type of floor it is on, it won’t slip.
- Cleaning and storing this mat are pretty straightforward.
- It is marked with 4 oche lines for different types of dart players.
- The rubber has a strong chemical smell to it.
- Not recommended for use in tournaments and competitions.
Buying Guide: Things to Consider When Choosing A Dart Mat
A good dart mat protects your floor, your dart and can even offer stability and comfort while you play. However, before you pick the first dart mat that you can find on the market, be sure to take the following elements into consideration. These will help you choose the best possible dart mat for you.
The most common materials used for dart mats are foam, fabric, or rubber.
Foam is usually cheaper, and they do quite an excellent job of protecting your flooring. The only downside to them is that they can easily flatten over time.
Fabric dart mats look and feel great, but they can show signs of wear and tear over time. Rubber mats, on the other hand, give you the best protection and non-slip underlay, so they don’t move around when you play.
There are some options in the market that give you a combination of fabric and rubber, such as the Shot Darts Professional Dart Mat.
There are different features to look for depending on where you will be using your dart mat. For example, if you’re going to use the mat at home, choosing a long one that is meant for competition or pub play may be too much for your space.
Alternatively, you also don’t want to use a dart mat that is less than the standard size in a competitive setting.
Be sure to note the throw lines in the mat too. For tournaments and pub games, you want to include regulation measurements for maximum gameplay. I’ve made sure that every dart mat in this list comes with accurate oche measurements.
A throw line can be purchased separately for the dart mats that do not feature oche lines. Here you can find some of the best dart throw lines available on the market right now.
When it comes to choosing the size of your dart mat, your choice will vary in length and the number of marked toe lines. The oche, for example, could be anywhere between 8 to 10 feet long.
In terms of length, the longer it is, the more area of your flooring it can protect. It makes no sense to pick a short mat that serves no purpose.
I recommend that you choose one that is wide and long for maximum protection. Of course, this will still largely depend on where you will be using your mat and how much space you have.
Most players prefer non-slip mats to eliminate the possibility of accidents when they’re standing or walking on the dart mats. However, there are some dart mats with more superior non-slip matting than others.
To find a reliable one that can aid you in avoiding slip hazards, be sure to choose one with a rubber underlay. This ensures that your mat stays perfectly in place while you play.
The Winmau Outshot Dart Mat, in particular, is built for this specific purpose with its anti-slip PVC composite underlay. Most of my recommendations in this list are layered with non-slip materials as well.
The pricing of dart mats highly depends on the materials used. Naturally, you want to find one that offers the best value for your money.
My recommendation is to always opt for heavy-duty materials as they provide the best protection. The better the quality of the material, the longer it will last.
Some players prefer thicker mats as they are more durable. However, these tend to be more expensive than thinner mats.
Still, if you want a reliable and sturdy mat that can last more than just a few rounds of darts, then a good, high-quality dart mat is worth investing in.
For example, if you’re looking for a quality build, the Target Dart World Champions Dart Mat could be worth looking into.
With the sheer volume of dart mat choices in the market, finding the perfect one for your setup can be overwhelming.
Just remember: those made of quality materials do a better job at protecting your floor and your darts. Not to mention, they tend to last longer and are resistant to wear and tear too.
So, choose carefully and invest in the right mat wisely. If all else fails, don’t hesitate to check back on my list of recommendations to find the best ones in the market today.