While playing darts, some of the shots that you make will not always land on the target. In fact, they might not even land on the board at all. It could bounce on the wall or the floor, possibly knocking over some of your treasured picture frames in the process.
So how can you make sure that you only inflict minimal damage to your property (and the people around you)? The solution is a dart backboard.
Essentially, a backboard protects the surrounding area from errant shots. If you’re thinking about buying one for your dart home setup, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this guide, I’ve put together everything that you need to know on how to pick the best one for you, along with my recommendations for the best dart backboards.
|1||Dart-Stop Professional Dart Board Backboard|
|2||Viper Championship Wood Framed Dartboard Backboard Set|
|3||Viper Defender Backboard & Steel Tip Dartboard Bundle|
|4||Viper Wood Framed Dartboard Backboard|
|5||Dart World Wall Protector|
|6||Viper Defender III Extended Length Surround Wall Protector|
|7||Cork Dart Board Backer|
|8||Viper EVA V-Foam Surround Wall Protector|
|9||Viper by GLD Products Dartboard Surround Wall Protector|
- 9 Of The Best Dart Backboards Reviewed
- 1. Dart-Stop Professional Dart Board Backboard – Editor’s Choice
- 2. Viper Championship Wood Framed Dartboard Backboard Set – Best Luxury Set
- 3. Viper Defender Backboard & Steel Tip Dartboard Bundle – Bang For Your Buck
- 4. Viper Wood Framed Dartboard Backboard – Best Mid-Range Backboard
- 5. Dart World Wall Protector – Best Customizable and Reversible Option
- 6. Viper Defender III Extended Length Surround Wall Protector – Best Coverage
- 7. Cork Dart Board Backer – The Best Cork Backboard
- 8. Viper EVA V-Foam Surround Wall Protector – Best Lightweight Option
- 9. Viper by GLD Products Dartboard Surround Wall Protector – Most Affordable
- Things to Consider When Buying A Dart Backboard
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words
9 Of The Best Dart Backboards Reviewed
1. Dart-Stop Professional Dart Board Backboard – Editor’s Choice
Let’s start this list with one of my top choices for reliable protection. The Dart-Stop Professional Dart Board Backboard comes in two sizes: 29 inches and 36 inches. Both sizes can fit just about any type of dartboard.
The former does a pretty good job enough by itself, but the latter— being significantly bigger than other backboards in the market— can offer you the extra coverage that you need for peace of mind as you play.
It comes with a ¾ inch engineered wood backing. This, together with its outer fabric padding, offers you one full inch of protection, which is the thickest possible backboard that you can buy on the market today.
What I especially love about the Dart-Stop Professional Backboard is that it is able to stay in mint condition despite regular use— no scars, no holes, and no damages.
In terms of functionality, there is no question about what the Dart-Stop Backboard brings to the table. But the added bonus is that its appearance does its performance justice.
It comes in an octagon shape with a sophisticated look that can make any game room look so much better. You can have it in 3 colors: black, burgundy, and tan.
While it does have a higher price point than your other options in the market, this is a backboard that can truly make your investment worthwhile.
- It has a large surface area that can provide you more than enough coverage in all directions.
- With a sophisticated design, you can choose from 3 colors: black, burgundy, or tan.
- It has a “no-holes” fabric that prevents visible signs of damage to your backboard.
- It can fit just about any dartboard out there.
- The price point is a bit higher than the competition.
- For those who don’t want the dartboard to be the main attraction in a room, it is almost impossible to keep this inconspicuous because of the sizes and colors that it comes in.
2. Viper Championship Wood Framed Dartboard Backboard Set – Best Luxury Set
Bold, luxurious, and stylish— the Viper Championship Backboard Set is truly a class act. It comes with an elegant mahogany finish that can lend your game room a professional and polished vibe.
It is made of high-grade black felt that reduces bounce-outs. It even comes with a separate storage inclusion that holds 4 complete sets of darts, plus a dry-erase scoreboard to match.
The board itself comes in a 29″ x 29″ size that you can mount on the wall with screws. It has a 1-inch backing to provide your wall uncompromising protection at all times. Much like the Dart-Stop Backboard, this too does not show holes and tears whenever it gets hit by darts.
This backboard can support any regulation-sized dartboard, be it bristle or electronic dartboard. It comes complete with all the hardware that you need for mounting it too.
To top this all off, the Viper Championship Backboard comes at a reasonable price. Perhaps the only downside to this elegant piece is that it only comes in one color (mahogany), but this is not a dealbreaker for most players in any way.
- The Viper Championship Backboard has an elegant finish and design.
- It is reasonably priced, considering its performance and design.
- It has a robust, 1-inch thick backing that can provide your wall with ample protection.
- It comes with a storage rack and a dry erase scoreboard.
- Players don’t really have much of a choice in terms of color.
- The darts storage can’t quite hold the darts well enough.
3. Viper Defender Backboard & Steel Tip Dartboard Bundle – Bang For Your Buck
If you are looking to complete your darts home setup, this could be a good bundle option for you. This product comes complete with a backboard and 6 starter darts.
There has been some confusion as to whether this bundle includes a dartboard or not, but the consensus among users (and from firsthand experience) is that it does not. That said, it still comes in at an affordable price point given all the inclusions.
But let’s talk about the Viper Defender a bit more. With a foam wall defender, it is just as good as most Viper products are in protecting your wall from errant darts.
In fact, just as all other Viper backboards, it is effective in preventing holes and dents on your walls. Plus, it doesn’t do any damage to your darts, which can be pretty common with other options.
With a modern, no-nonsense design, this could be the sleek and durable backboard bundle that you’re looking for. The darts that it comes with has had some pretty good reception from players too.
- This is a good option for those who are looking for a backboard and darts combo.
- It has a sleek, modern, and minimalist design that appeals to certain players.
- Budget-conscious players will find this product to be affordable.
- The darts that it comes with are top-notch and have had some raving reviews from users.
- The surrounding padding does not provide a very snug fit for some dartboards.
- It doesn’t provide ample coverage to protect your wall, at least in comparison to other backboards in the market.
4. Viper Wood Framed Dartboard Backboard – Best Mid-Range Backboard
I’ve touted the advantages of the Viper Championship Wood Framed Dartboard Backboard Set, but what if you simply want a backboard without the bells and whistles that come with the Championship Backboard?
If you want a straightforward and affordable option from Viper, then this might be the best option for you.
It also provides a 29″ x 29″ coverage with 1″ thickness. These specs, as you might have already gathered, are pretty standard for backboards these days. However, what sets this option apart is its luxurious mahogany finish.
This is a durable and well-design backboard that you can mount on your wall easily with two screws that it comes with. You can use this on just about any standard bristle or electronic dartboard too.
Included in its packaging is the mounting hardware, so you won’t have to stress so much in mounting it too. Essentially, this is an economical dart backboard that looks and feels expensive.
- The Viper Wood Framed Backboard is designed to be durable and sturdy to provide your wall with first-rate protection.
- It comes in an elegant design with a mahogany finish.
- Affordably priced, considering its look and overall performance.
- It has a wooden backing with a plush fabric finish to prevent signs of wear and tear.
- Albeit thick and sturdy, it only provides pretty standard coverage at 29″ x 29″.
- Much like the Viper Championship Backboard, players don’t really have much of a choice in terms of color with this option too.
5. Dart World Wall Protector – Best Customizable and Reversible Option
The Dart World Wall Protector is a straightforward wall protector that is as stylish as it is functional. With a size of 28″ x 28″, it may be relatively smaller than your other options in the marketplace, but it does a pretty good job at defending your wall against stray darts too.
With a 1-inch high-density foam, this backboard does not require any special installation or mounting. It comes in an easy 4-piece jigsaw-type design that you can simply fit together and attach to your dartboard.
Overall, although pretty basic, this provides ample protection to your wall against stray darts.
This is a backboard that you can assemble only when needed. You can reverse it to extend its life too. The Dart World Wall Protector can fit any standard-sized bristle dartboard but is not recommended for electronic ones.
- It has a fun and easy to assemble jigsaw-puzzle style design.
- It provides reliable coverage to prevent damages to your wall.
- The image on the puzzle pieces can be customizable to give you artistic flexibility.
- It is reversible to extend the life of the wall protector.
- It promises to fit most standard-sized bristle dartboards, but some users have reported that it doesn’t offer a snug fit to all.
- The coverage, at 28″ x 28″ is not as substantial as what you can get from other options in the market.
6. Viper Defender III Extended Length Surround Wall Protector – Best Coverage
My next pick is yet another product from Viper’s line of backboards, the Viper Defender III. The name itself incites a feeling of security, but does the performance of this backboard do its name justice?
Its sheer size might convince you that it does. At a whopping 45″ x 32″, this is easily the biggest possible dartboard available in the market today. No other backboard comes close to the coverage that the Viper Defender offers.
With its size, perhaps the demographic that can benefit the most from this gargantuan backboard are beginners. If you’re just learning to throw straight and are not quite confident with your aim yet, this is the perfect accompanying backboard to your dartboard set.
To complement its size is a high-density V-foam with a velvet finish. This helps reduce the signs of wear and tear from your missed throws.
This can support most standard dartboards from 17.75 inches to 18 inches. The installation is quick and easy, too — you can simply attach this to your dartboard through the provided 6 interlocking points.
- It provides impressive coverage and protection that spans 45″ x 32″.
- It is easy to install and mount, requiring no extra tool or hardware to do so.
- To provide added protection, it has high-density V-foam.
- It offers a snug fit to keep the dartboard in place at all times.
- The foam is not meant to last long, so you might have to replace it every couple of years.
- Some users have reported that darts can still puncture through it and make a dent in the wall.
7. Cork Dart Board Backer – The Best Cork Backboard
With its lightweight and renewable material, this could be the perfect choice for those who prefer to take their game of darts outdoors. You can easily install and transfer it, making the Cork Dart Board Backer the perfect portable dartboard companion for you.
With its main source material (cork), this backboard can easily sustain weathering effects of the elements as well as the wear and tear of errant darts.
Cork is overall a renewable and environmental-friendly material too. This means that it has the ability to patch up possible holes and tears that it manages to withstand as a backboard.
Not to mention, with 36x24x0.5 inches coverage, this cork dartboard provides a large enough area to protect walls and the surrounding area from damages. Darts can easily stick to it without damaging the tip too.
So is this cork backboard from Jelinek worth your money? I say that it is with its no-nonsense design and capable functionality.
- This is a cheap alternative to other backboards in this list.
- It provides ample coverage and protection at 26×24 inches.
- It is made out of sustainable, renewable, and environment-friendly cork material.
- Cork is, by nature, able to withstand heavy wear and tear that could result from errant darts.
- You get what you pay for— albeit useful; this is still just basically a piece of corkboard.
- There is no design or special additions whatsoever.
8. Viper EVA V-Foam Surround Wall Protector – Best Lightweight Option
This is a practical protective barrier that is designed to be a surround wall protector to prevent damages to your wall and the surrounding area. The Viper EVA-V Foam is made out of V-foam material that is known for its resistance to wear and tear, promising protection for many years to come.
It already comes with a hanging bracket, so all you have to do is to attach it to your dartboard and simply hang it.
The backboard itself has a size of 28″ x 28,” and you can mount it any way that you want: be it a simple square or a diamond pattern. This option can support both bristle dartboard and electronic ones.
Although wholly simplistic in design, this backboard is still pretty impressive in its ability to protect your walls. This is largely owed to its high-density V-foam that absorbs hits, keeping your walls pristine without damaging your dart tips.
- This option supports both bristle dartboard and electronic ones.
- You can customize how it is positioned: as a simple square or hung in a diamond pattern.
- It is made of durable EVA V-Foam, which provides just the right amount of protection without damaging your darts.
- You can easily hang it through the brackets that are already attached to the backboard.
- The adhesive that it comes with might not hold up in the long run, but you can simply add fortification as needed.
- It is only .5″ in thickness, thinner than most options that you can get in the market.
9. Viper by GLD Products Dartboard Surround Wall Protector – Most Affordable
If you’re on the lookout for a basic and affordable backboard option, then I recommend the Viper by GLD Products. However, with only a 5″ radius of protection, this might not be the most suitable option for beginners and casual players.
Instead, because of the minimal coverage that it provides, this is best used by intermediate to advanced players.
This can fit about any standard-sized bristle dartboard (best at 17.75″ in size). It provides a full inch of thick foam backing that is further divided into three zones.
The first zone is the impact zone that simply slows down the dart. There is also an absorption zone that allows the dart to stick to it. Then there is the shield zone for an added layer of protection between any errant dart and your wall.
Installing this is pretty straightforward and does not require you to use any tool to do so. All in all, this is a good choice for advanced and intermediate players— functional without breaking the bank.
- The design is straightforward and elegant.
- Installing and mounting this on the wall is simple and easy.
- This is an affordable choice for intermediate and advanced players on a budget.
- The velvet finish reduces any signs of surface wear and tear.
- It is fully reversible, so you can extend the life of the backboard.
- It only offers a 5″ radius of protection which means that this is not the best choice for beginners.
- This fits only standard-sized dartboards.
Things to Consider When Buying A Dart Backboard
It doesn’t matter if you’re already a pro or are just starting out— you’re bound to throw a few hits and misses when you play darts.
But your wall behind your dartboard doesn’t really have to show just how many misses you’ve made. Keep it protected and pristine with the help of dart backboards.
How do you choose the best backboard that is worth your time and money? In this section, I’ll explain the important specifications that you need to look for when buying your first (or next) backboard.
Out of all your considerations when buying a dart backboard, the material is perhaps the most crucial detail. The material often dictates just how long your board will last and how well it will perform.
Some of the most common materials that you can find on the market are wood, cork, foam, and felt. The quality ones, such as the Dart-Stop Professional Backboard, combines more than one material for durability and better performance.
For best mileage, a backboard made out of cork material is a sustainable and environment-friendly option too.
Some backboards are more compatible with dartboards, and some are not. Most, however, are designed to fit standard-sized bristle boards and electric ones.
The Viper backboards mentioned in this list, as well as the Dart World Wall Protector, are compatible with both dartboard types.
However, just to be sure, make sure to check the specs of your dartboard and the backboard you are eyeing before you make your purchase.
Choosing the size of your backboard depends largely on how accurate your throws are. If you are confident with your accuracy as a player, then you may be able to get by with a small-sized backboard.
However, I recommend larger-sized backboards if you are just starting out to provide ample coverage to protect your wall. In this case, the Viper Defender III Extended, with its size, can do an impressive job of providing protection.
This is a component that will largely depend on your preferences. Nowadays backboards are sold in different shapes such as-
- Octagon (Most Effective)
- Round (Popular)
While square and rectangular shapes seem to cover a greater area, they fall short on the sideways. So, it’s best you opt for an octagon or round backboard for optimal coverage.
Of course, you’re going to want to get the most band out of your buck when you buy your backboard. To get the most value, you can consider the inclusions that come with your dartboard, its material, the brand— or perhaps a combination of all these.
Pricewise, the Viper Defender Backboard Bundle is a good option as it includes steel tip darts. Not to mention, it comes from a brand that is known for its quality and durability too.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Size Should a Dart Backboard Be?
Essentially, you want to choose a size that gives your wall ample coverage— the bigger, the better. It is therefore recommended that you choose backings that offer at least 4″ or 5″ protection.
2. How to Install a Dart Backboard?
The installation largely depends on the material of your chosen backboard. Wood backings are typically screwed to the wall to provide stability. Foam backings, on the other hand, usually come with brackets or adhesives that you can simply use to hang to the wall.
3. Are the Dartboard Surround and Backboard the Same Thing?
Generally, these two types have the same function, however, surrounds typically have a hole in the middle that you can use to fit your dartboard inside. Backboards, however, are attached behind your dartboard.
There are a lot of options for backboards in the market nowadays. Your choices can range from round to square-shaped ones, they could be made out of wood, cork, foam, or felt (or a combination of these), and they might be packaged in different sizes.
Having personally owned Dart-Stop Professional Backboard, I know that it is both visually appealing and functional. It has a large coverage that comes in a well-designed package and its finish is resistant to wears and tears as well. Even with heavy use over the last few months, I have not encountered any problems.
That being said, whatever dart backboard you may eventually decide to buy, I hope that this guide has helped narrow down the choices for you.
Also Check out: