As in most pub setups, dartboards are typically illuminated by a spotlight above the board, simply angled down so players can see their target. While this has proven to be a practical solution, it’s not exactly the best for optimal dart play.
But here’s the good news: you don’t have to resign yourself to shadows and glares from the traditional way of lighting dartboards. These days, you have a plethora of dartboard lighting options that fit every preference, style, and budget.
In this guide, we’ve rounded up the top dartboard lights to help you choose the best one for your setup.
|1||Unicorn Solar Flare Illuminated Dartboard Surround|
|2||Target Darts Corona Vision Lighting System|
|3||Winmau Plasma Dartboard Light|
|4||Viper Shadow Buster Dartboard Cabinet Mounted Display Light|
|5||HONWELL LED Spotlight 2 Pack LED Accent Lights|
|6||LUXSWAY Wireless Spotlights with 2 Remotes|
|7||LUXSWAY Picture Lights with Remote Control|
|8||BIGLIGHT Wireless Battery Operated LED Picture Light|
- 8 Top Picks for the Best Dartboard Lights
- 1. Unicorn Solar Flare Illuminated Dartboard Surround – Best Design
- 2. Target Darts Corona Vision Lighting System – Editors’ Pick
- 3. Winmau Plasma Dartboard Light – The Most Robust
- 4. Viper Shadow Buster Dartboard Cabinet Mounted Display Light – The Biggest Bang For Your Buck
- 5. HONWELL LED Spotlight 2 Pack LED Accent Lights – The Best Portable Option
- 6. LUXSWAY Wireless Spotlights with 2 Remotes – Most Versatile
- 7. LUXSWAY Picture Lights with Remote Control – The Rechargeable Option
- 8. BIGLIGHT Wireless Battery Operated LED Picture Light – Best Alternative to Ring Dartboard Lights
- Things to Consider When Buying A Dartboard Light
- Final Thoughts
8 Top Picks for the Best Dartboard Lights
1. Unicorn Solar Flare Illuminated Dartboard Surround – Best Design
Let’s start off with the Unicorn Solar Flare, one of the best-designed lights from one of the biggest brands in the industry today.
The design is both modern and functional — offering an impressive 360-degree ring of light around your dartboard. This effectively eliminates any possibilities of glares or shadows.
In terms of material, the product itself is made out of an aluminum cover and a rubber mold to ensure its durability.
This has then been fashioned into a ring that you can put on your dartboard. This “solar surround” allows you to get a full visual of your dartboard at night without the extra shadows. Not to mention, it lends a certain stylish look to any room too.
This lighting system is a perfect fit for whatever brand or model of dartboard you may have. With its LED lighting and durable packaging, this is a system that is both aesthetically pleasing and functional.
Plus, the installation is just as easy, too — just pop the ring right into any dartboard and connect it to a power supply. You will be needing a power outlet to turn the Unicorn Solar Flare on, but you will be given a multi-adapter as part of the boxed set.
- It is made out of durable and high-quality material— aluminum and rubber— so you can enjoy your game without worrying about breaking the lighting system.
- They are more energy-efficient because of their LED lighting.
- You can use this on any brand and model of dartboard to illuminate your games.
- It is specifically designed to eliminate glares and shadows thanks to its 360-degree illumination.
- Although it is a one-size-fits-all product, the rubber frame could be a bit snug to some boards.
- The price may be a bit more steep compared to other lighting systems in the market.
2. Target Darts Corona Vision Lighting System – Editors’ Pick
This one is perhaps one of the crowd favorites: a dartboard lighting system released by Target.
That’s totally understandable, too, because the Target Darts Corona Vision comes equipped with all of the qualities that you’d typically want in your lighting system.
It performs impressively, is made of quality materials, and works very efficiently in eliminating shadows.
Fastening this to your board is easy and convenient too. You can attach this to your dartboard by simply laying it out on the steel ring of the board. Its four magnetic feet will then do the work of making sure that it stays put. You can then safely mount this on your wall by its brackets.
Much like the Unicorn Solar Flare, it also offers 360-degree lighting for your board. It is a great lighting system that has over 125 LED lights to it, making sure that your vision is completely clear and not impeded with shadows.
In terms of compatibility, Target’s Corona Vision has been designed to fit any model of dartboard, so you can easily attach it to the one that you already have at home.
- Installing Corona Vision is quick and easy thanks to its magnetic attachment — you only need a few minutes to set it up and get it working.
- It comes with 125 individual and quality LED lights to ensure maximum visibility and zero chances of shadows to impede your game.
- Its circular lighting shape is designed to have a 360-degree coverage of your board too.
- Corona Vision is offered at a much competitive price.
- It is battery-powered, which can be a hassle to regularly change for some players.
- Although it is designed to fit most dartboards, this is still not a guarantee that it will be a perfect pair for your board.
3. Winmau Plasma Dartboard Light – The Most Robust
The Plasma Dartboard Light 4300 is the first of the lighting dartboard systems series from the Winmau brand.
What sets this apart from all of the other lighting systems in the market is that it is placed directly into the dartboard rather than simply fitting it in the edges.
The Plasma Dartboard is, instead, screwed into place to make sure that it stays secure and will not move if you accidentally hit it with your darts. It is then mounted onto the wall through magnetic brackets.
What makes this lighting similar to other options in the market is that it also provides a 360-degree lighting to eliminate possible obstructions and shadows when you play. It’s also quite efficient of not just getting rid of shadows, but all possible side glares too.
The material of the Plasma Light 4300 is aluminum (much like all of your other options) to keep it lightweight without compromising on its durability.
If you buy this set, you’ll get an electric adapter suited to most international standards, among other things, in its inclusions. By the way, it has a total of 132 LED lights.
- The installation to the dartboard needs to be screwed, making it more sturdy and able to withstand even the strongest hits from darts.
- The Plasma 4300 offers 360-degrees of lighting that reduces shadows and glares so you can play without any visual obstructions.
- It has a warm illumination of 2000 lumens for all of 132 LED bulbs.
- It is built to last long but still be lightweight because of the material that it is made out of.
- Installation takes a while because it needs to be screwed in place.
- You might need assistance in mounting it too, or at the very least be stuck with cleaning the area after you have mounted it.
4. Viper Shadow Buster Dartboard Cabinet Mounted Display Light – The Biggest Bang For Your Buck
While not exactly suited for all dartboards, it’s important to include the Viper in this list. This is meant for dartboards that are typically inside a cabinet.
If you have one in this setup, then you probably understand the pains that typically come with it — namely, the shadows. The Viper is a great solution to this as it makes sure that there are no shadows nor glare when you play.
This comes equipped with 3 adjustable LED bulbs to give you a clear view of your targets. You will need 4 AA batteries to power this lighting system, but it’s truly well worth it based on the brightness that it is able to emit.
It weighs 13.6 ounces, giving it a lightweight and aesthetically pleasing appeal. Mounting it is simple, but it does require you to pre-drill sections on your dartboard cabinet and screw in the hardware.
You might initially think that Viper is an exceptionally niche product for an already-niche hobby, but it’s surprisingly one of the top-selling lighting systems in the market today. This might be largely owed to its efficiency in illuminating your board and the price too.
- Aptly named, the Viper looks very sleek and elegant while still able to make a big statement in the room.
- The brightness of its light is truly incomparable, making shadows and glare the least of your worries while you focus on your game.
- The box comes with mounting hardware, so you won’t have to worry about running to the store to get supplies for the installation.
- GLD offers a full year of warranty for Viper, a clear vote of confidence for their product.
- It is perhaps one of the more affordable lighting systems that are available in the market.
- It can only be used by a specific type of dartboard set, specifically those that are placed inside a cabinet.
- The Viper requires 4 AA batteries to power it, a dealbreaker for some of the players.
5. HONWELL LED Spotlight 2 Pack LED Accent Lights – The Best Portable Option
The Honwell LED Spotlight 2 is a firm nod to the more traditional lighting system. It features a spotlight that comes at 12 LED lights per section of light.
This is also used to illuminate picture frames that you would typically want to highlight in a room. Still, it will do an excellent job of lighting up your dartboard if you simply want to add a bit of illumination when you play.
The Honwell is an energy-efficient lighting system because it only puts out 80 lumens that result in a warm glow that can surround your dartboard.
This low-voltage and low-power lighting may not be the top choice for most people, but there are some players who prefer it for its dimmer and timer settings.
The heads of the light can be rotated to your preference too. You can swivel them from side to side, back and forth, making it easy for you to make adjustments at any time during your game.
You can easily secure it on the wall above your board and on the ceiling or use it for other purposes when you’re not playing darts too. It is both flexible and portable — a great option for those who want multi-purpose lighting.
- This is one of the most portable and flexible options in the market, allowing you to move it anywhere and adjust its placements as you please.
- It has a dimmer feature so that you can adjust the lighting based on your preferences.
- It is made from durable plastic and aluminum that makes it lightweight and easy to move around.
- It can fit up to 12 LED lights per section, giving you a total of 24 bulbs that can be evenly spread across your board.
- It’s not specifically made for darting games, so the light may not be up-to-standards to some players.
- Its plastic surface, although durable, may not look as sleek as other options in the market.
6. LUXSWAY Wireless Spotlights with 2 Remotes – Most Versatile
Much like the Honwell LED Spotlight, this too is a lighting system that isn’t just exclusively for dartboards. Its 330-degree rotatable head can also be used to brighten up paintings and things that are mounted on the wall.
You can also pivot the Luxsway Lights up to to 160 degrees. Although it does have a limited range of motion, this can be more than enough for some players who prefer a bit of flexibility when they play.
This lighting system is estimated to have 30000 hours of power with the use of 3 AA batteries. There’s also an optional auto-timer button that you can set for up to 4 hours. This is a particularly useful feature, so you don’t overwork the lights if you forget to turn it off after your dart games.
The Luxsway spotlights have hooks and tapes that you can easily use to mount onto the walls. If you want, you can also screw it in to secure it in place.
- It is remote-operated, so you can rotate and pivot it to any position that you want.
- Although it is battery-powered, it does promise up to 30000 working hours, so you don’t have to constantly change batteries.
- You can dim and brighten the LED lights and even set them on auto-off timer.
- You have the option to screw it in place if you want a more permanent lighting system or simply hook it on the wall if you anticipate moving it in the future.
- It only offers a limited range of motion, although not such a significant difference at 330-degrees instead of the usual 360-degrees.
- It is not made exclusively for dartboards, so it may not completely remove shadows and glare.
7. LUXSWAY Picture Lights with Remote Control – The Rechargeable Option
Still, from the same lighting company, Luxsway, this option is perfect for those who are looking for a rechargeable lighting option. You can do this with the Picture Lights Rechargeable Light through a USB cable which is included in the box when you purchase one.
This comes in a series of lighting modes to give you flexibility — including choices for strobe, fade, smooth, flash, or RGB lights.
This product is lit with 12 RGB LED lights and gives off a bright but still warm lighting. You can switch this to multi-colored setting with the use of a remote control.
And if you are the type to forget to turn off the lights after you play, there is a timer feature equipped here as well.
In terms of moving the light, you can rotate the Luxsway Picture Light at 180 degrees up or down and swivel it at the same range from left to right. You won’t have problems installing and mounting this lighting system too.
- This has multiple lighting mode options, which range from strobe, fade, smooth, flash, or RGB lights.
- It is rechargeable through a USB cable, so you don’t have to buy batteries for it.
- It has a rotatable neck that you can move up to 180 degrees up and down and left to right.
- It’s easy to install, and the packaging comes with the right set of screws.
- As with the previous option, this too offers a limited range of motion at 180 degrees pivot or swivel.
- You have to position it properly to make sure that you reduce as much shadow and glare.
8. BIGLIGHT Wireless Battery Operated LED Picture Light – Best Alternative to Ring Dartboard Lights
Another Biglight lighting system, the Biglight Dartboard Light, is a battery-operated wall-mounted light that is as stylish as it is useful.
It’s typically used to light up pictures mounted on walls, but it does an equally good job at brightening up your dartboard for easier gaming.
Its design is made to help you view its focus without obstruction. Its light tube is made up of 4 LED lights that have an output of 100 lumens each, but you can dim and increase the brightness as you see fit too.
This is powered by 3 AA batteries and comes equipped with an auto-off timer. You can screw the Biglight in place to secure it on the wall and adjust its setting with the use of the remote control that it comes with.
- It can be adjusted up to 180 degrees up or down and left to right.
- You can set it on auto-off mode so you won’t have to worry about draining the batteries should you forget to turn it off.
- It comes with dimming and brightening features so you can adjust to your preference.
- It comes with a remote so that you don’t have to manually adjust the settings.
- It requires 3 AA batteries, but you can prolong its lifespan by always setting it on auto-off mode.
- The brightness may not be enough for some players.
Things to Consider When Buying A Dartboard Light
The occasional hole in your wall might be a regular hazard when playing a game of darts, but it doesn’t have to be. A dart backboard can help you secure the area behind your dartboard, plus it is a stylish addition to your room too.
Now just imagine this with an equally stylish dartboard light, and you have yourself a fixture in the wall that every man cave should have.
But before you go about buying your dartboard light, there are some considerations that you should take into account first.
Naturally, you want to add a light system that ties your whole room together or at least assist in the semblance thereof. If this is your number one priority, then be sure to consider if your light design will lend a more aesthetic value to your place.
As a side note, the Unicorn Solar Flare is one of the best-designed products in the market because of the simplicity and sleekness of its design.
Functionality should take precedence when making the choice for your dartboard lighting system. When it comes to this particular conversation, this consideration can still be closely tied to the design: should you opt for a bar or a circular light?
The answer to this largely depends on your preference, but if we were to weigh in on the topic, then know that ring lights are more effective in reducing or completely eliminating shadows in your board.
You may also want to opt for lights that surround your board at 360-degrees. The Corona and Unicorn Flare are both great options for this.
The power source of your dartboard lighting system should be considered prior to purchase.
Cordless options typically require you to power it with batteries, while corded ones are either chargeable or need to be connected to a power outlet at all times.
This particular choice, of course, is entirely up to you and what you might consider as convenient.
If you choose to go with the cordless route, then our recommendation is that you find a good product with a more than stellar energy consumption so that you don’t have to constantly change the batteries for the lights.
Most products on our list here are economical in terms of power consumption. The LUXSWAY Wireless Spotlights, in particular, are able to last up to 3000 hours of use.
4. Mounting System
The important thing to remember is that when it comes to choosing your dartboard lights, it’s always more convenient to go with the product that already has mounting materials in its inclusions.
Getting one that already has hardware (mostly screws) in place can save you a lot of time running around and finding materials.
The good news is that certain lighting options include brackets in the packaging. One such example is the Winmau Plasma Dartboard Light that can be magnetically attached to the bracket for ease of installment.
Perhaps the main consideration for most of us is the price of the lighting system. There are cheaper options in the market, but they are often priced as such for a reason.
For example, you might have to compromise on the quality of the product or the brightness that it can give. For a fair price that does not compromise on quality, the Viper Lightning System might be an option that you could look into.
Illuminating your dartboard is more than just improving the overall aesthetics of your dartboard setup. It’s also about improving your vision, eliminating shadows and glares — for optimal play.
With a plethora of options available for you in the market, choosing one can be a close-to-impossible task.
So, precisely because there are a dozen top-tier options in the dartboard lighting market, we’ve come up with this list for the best tried and tested products thus far.
We hope that this has helped you narrow down the choices for you.